Mert's Ramble

This is the site where Mert rambles about anything from work, to family, to martial arts, to cigars. Read, post, enjoy.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Ole`, ole` ole` ole`....Ole`...Ole`

That's right, it's world cup time again!

OK, so I started this posting a while ago, but at least I'm finishing before the World Cup is over, right?

I have made an observation (me and the rest of the known world) that the officiating in this Cup has over all been the most miserable I have ever seen. Those of you who know me know full well that in general I have nothing but kind, wonderful things to say about referees. Those of you who don't know me at all might actually beleive that! Well, in this case, I don't think it's all their fault. FIFA has created an environment of fear, with threats to send home ref's who they don't think are controlling the games.

While watching a game today between Portugual and Holland, this world cup, still in the second round, has already passed the record for red cards handed out in a world cup. The game today tied a record with 16 yellow cards! Four players were sent off, all for two yellow card offenses! Players like Deco, Figo and Koyt were consumed in a game with no flow, no beauty, nothing but the referee.

This has not been the case in all of the games, but I must say, it's been the case in far too many. Eric Cantona has been running the commercials for joga bonita, the beautiful game, but he was targeting the wrong audience. We don't need to convince the players, it's FIFA who needs to get the message.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home