Mert's Ramble

This is the site where Mert rambles about anything from work, to family, to martial arts, to cigars. Read, post, enjoy.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Back to the Mat

For those who don't know, I had surgery on my foot almost six weeks ago to remove bone spurs and bone fragments from the ball joint. I truly missed my martial arts classes, and I have to say I am very excited to be back at it!

So, in coming back we have some new classes. There is a forms class (which I am helping to teach) that is a lot of fun. We are working on forms we've learned, and learning new forms from Kenpo and Shotokan Karate. It's very cool to study in a system that doesn't just focus on one style, but takes input from any and all styles.

We also have a kicking class. That's right, an hour straight of just kicking. Today, with only a couple of minutes left in the class we had to do 50 round kicks on each leg as quickly as we could. Man am I slow!

We also have grappling class and weapons class as specialized classes. I'll be honest, grappling is not my best thing, but I want to be a complete martial artist (at least for me, this isn't to say if you study something that doesn't have grappling you aren't complete) so I have to work on it.

My biggest challenge doesn't even occur in the dojo, it's finding time to do what I love. But if everything in life were easy, I think I wouldn't do anything at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home