Mert's Ramble

This is the site where Mert rambles about anything from work, to family, to martial arts, to cigars. Read, post, enjoy.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What's in a wardrobe

So, I have a new position now at work, not a new title or new pay, I just have more responsibilities and I report to a new boss. I really wanted to feel like I was doing something new, or at least look like I was different now. I can't really explain it, I know some of it is pride, some of it is insecurity and some doubts about my new role. I think a lot of it is trying to make the point that I'm serious about my career and I want to be noticed and set apart. So anyway, I started wearing a tie to work everyday. I have been doing this now for two and a half weeks and I am still getting a lot of comments about it. Not really negative comments, but in IT nowdays people really don't wear ties very often anymore. In our organization our SVP, one Sr. Business Analyst and one director are the only people who consistantly wear a tie. And now me. Not that there's a lot of difference between us...other than stock options, parking spaces and tens of thousands of dollars in salary. But I have to say, I like wearing the tie. I like looking different and standing out. Will this lead to a big promotion and raise? Who knows? The reality is I really like my job, I like the people I work with and work for, and my family is healthy and happy. So for now it's ties to work. And once and for all, no, I don't have a job interview today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home